Friday, March 13, 2009

For the Love of Cirque


So, by now I am guessing that you have figured out that this is not a ‘daily’ BLOG and that I am having a tough time committing to write every day…so I need to change my page title and try harder to get into the swing of writing about my day…

Today while I was doing some research on-line I came across that infamous list – the one listing the 100 most influential art collectors in the world published by the Guardian in October 2006 – I found the list very interesting and not much has changed since 2006 on this list – perhaps the order, but the players are mostly the same. The thing that shocks me most about this list is that there is was only one Canadian art collector/artist on the list – Jeff Wall –a Canadian photographer who played a key role in establishing photography as a contemporary art form. He is best known for his large-scale back-lit cibachrome photographs and art-historical writing. Although I did not know much about Jeff Wall until I read this article, I have come to admire and appreciate the complexity and depth of his work and am proud that this fellow Canadian from Vancouver, not far from where I was born and grew up, has become such an important player in influencing the arts internationally.

You can read more about the 100 most influential art collectors here... http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/oct/14/arts.artsnews1
So, it seems that the centres of the art world are still New York and London and now Beijing is coming on strong.

This brings me to my LOVE of Cirque Du Soleil (French for ‘Circus of the Sun’). Cirque is a highly original and uber-creative entertainment group originated and based in Montreal, Quebec. This group of traditional acrobats, aerialists, contortionists, gymnasts, singers, dancers, musicians….and so on…puts on a ‘circus’ show like no other. I first fell in love with Cirque when I was in Las Vegas in 2006 and bought a ticket to their water themed show ‘O’ at The Bellagio. The show brought out every single emotion one could expect and not expect to experience – I cried, laughed, gasped, wiped my brow and applauded with admiration. What I took away from my experience was a new outlook on life and loads of inspiration; it was like these people had seen inside my heart and my head and put it on stage. I feel such a strong connection to Cirque and it has inspired a few of my recent paintings. I was thrilled when I heard that Cirque had been chosen to design and select visual and performing artists to represent Canada at the 2010 Shanghai Expo Canadian Pavilion – in my mind, no better creative group to create an inspiring experience showcasing Canada’s contribution to the arts in China…stay tuned ;-) More to come on my 'not so daily BLOG'

No comments: