Sunday, March 1, 2009

Coffee, Music and Flicks...


OK, so I have titled this BLOG as a 'daily' BLOG but until I get the hang of this, it will be, let's call it my 'quasi'-daily BLOG...
it's been an interesting few days...I got a phone call from a friend that is passionate about, coffee and live 'grass roots' music - he asked if I would be interested in providing cover art for a new CD he is producing highlighting the music of some talented local musicians, I said, 'sounds cool' ...it's a theme that I have been meaning to work on developing for a while. I listen to music while I paint every day and find it inspires my works in so many ways, even some I do not realize until the end of a painting. While my love affair with painting continues to develop and explode, my love for music and for immersing myself in the lyrics, the beats and the rhythms, continues to grow right alongside....
I have a piece called 'Bubbly Toes' inspired by the Jack Johnson tune 'Bubble Toes' an inspiring song with a run that tests your breathing and timing...yes, I gotta sing along and get it just right, memorize all the words and the timing...
With my current immersion in the great tunes of the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Who and even a little Pink Floyd...I find myself wanting to create as series of work, maybe conceptual, maybe Neo-Pop or Idealistic in nature...I want to take some of the iconic songs which strike a nerve in all of us and translate them with my paintbrush...so I will embark on this journey tomorrow and I am really excited that I am finally going to realize my ideas.
Flicks....well, as mentioned, there would be the odd reference to some of my many addictions...one being films. This weekend I snuggled up with two flicks - a documentary by Bill Maher called 'Religulous' and another film by Oliver Stone called 'W.' about George Bush.
Religulous was an interesting exploration into people's belief in GOD and across several religions...the film was OK, not as funny or as well edited or hard-hitting as I would have expected from Maher, but it did leave me with one impression...there are a lot of crazy people out there and when confronted with common sense - they completely go blank, ignore and walk away in dis-belief...it kinda freaked me out. No matter what your beliefs you have, this film is worth a look...even if it just to examine what your own reactions are to the questions and points that Maher raises.
W. - a film about George W. Bush - it came out a few months before the end of the Bush reign and I have to say that I was truly BLOWN AWAY by Josh Brolin's depiction of Bush and truly believe that this film did not get it's due recognition this past year. The film was good, not great but certainly gave Stone's perspective as he is so well known for in his films....definitely worthwhile seeing, especially now that we are into the Obama era.

Ciao for now...

No comments: